cartoon: speak Lord…

I was just speaking with someone yesterday who was talking about the silence of God. It’s been years. Silence ain’t always golden. I suggested that we used to be inundated with dozens of words of the Lord daily and that we need to learn a new language. Or perhaps a new way of hearing. I sense that my whole structure of understanding “word”, the entire construct, the complete grid, is being dissembled.

I have NEW CARTOON BOOK!
Get fine art prints of my cartoons.
Get my t-shirts.
Please join my newsletter.

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

1. cindy says:

Mine, too, David. I don't so much mind the silence; it's when I start questioning the silence that I become unsettled.

2. nomad says:

The thing about total darkness...
    If you look at it long enough, you begin to see images.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  3. I remember when I started to become aware of how much my hearing was mediated through my own sense of experience and expectation. We actually contextualize what we hear into our own stories fairly quickly, at the speed of thought is I believe how Daniel Helminiak put it. Not that this invalidated the experiences, actually it liberated them. It allowed me to let their meaning shift and grow as my understanding of God and life grew. But it also taught be to hold them lightly. I noticed it also shifted how I expected to hear God - I started looking for God's voice in a lot more places than the "prophetic" world I had been used to. I love that world BTW, at least parts of it, and love it when God clearly shows up in profound ways. But I found those times ebbed and flowed - what God was trying to lead me to was a sort of abiding that I don't think that paradigm sustains very well. I wonder if the times of supposed silence are not just more of this leading into that place of abiding in God?

4. bob says:

"The invisible and the non existent look very much alike."
    ~ Delos McKown

5. sherri says:

Read My Utmost for His Highest Oct. 11 (you can get it on the net if you don't have the book).

6. nakedpastor says:

My favorite devotional.

7. k8 says:

I think I commented last week that our language limits our experience of God. I've been pondering that since then. And it's gone deeper than that for me. The humbling essence of being a human is that we know and can comprehend so very little of God and our existence simply by the nature of being human. And somehow, recognizing and owning that gives me deeper experience of God.

8. Lynn says:

Bob,
    I like your quote. It's not a very popular idea though. It IS a possibility I finally considered after about 50 years.

9. Monique says:

I love thinking without words - it actually helps me to "hear" better.

10. @Lynn,
    "It’s not a very popular idea though."
    Then again, neither was heliocentricity at one time. :-)

11. Kim says:

K8 above said "The humbling essence of being a human is that we know and can comprehend so very little of God and our existence simply by the nature of being human."

I think I know what you're getting at but I would suggest that since the incarnation, we know much of God through being human. The idea that we are not human beings on a spiritual journey, but instead spiritual beings on a human journey, and we can sense and know all kinds of things about God through Jesus. But yes that doesn't mean we know all, or that there aren't times of silence, confusion or unknowing.

12. Tiggy says:

Did you mean 'disasembelled'? To dissemble is to pretend/lie.

13. Tiggy says:

Oops - disassemblled or something like that.

14. David says:

Halfway through Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light in which she talks about her darkness. Here is one excerpt:

In the darkness… Lord, my God, who am I that You should forsake me? The child of your love—and now become as the most hated one—the one You have thrown away as unwanted—unloved. I call, I cling, I want—and there is no One to answer—no One on Whom I can cling—no, No One.—Alone. The darkness is so dark—and I am alone.—Unwanted, forsaken.—The loneliness of the heart that wants love is unbearable.—Where is my faith?—even deep down, right in, there is nothing but emptiness & darkness.—My God—how painful is this unknown pain. It pains without ceasing.—I have no faith.—I dare not utter the words & thoughts that crowd in my heart—& make me suffer untold agony. So many unanswered questions live within me—I am afraid to uncover them—because of the blasphemy—If there be God,—please forgive me.—Trust that all will end in Heaven with Jesus.—When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven—there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives & hurt my very soul.—Love—the word—it brings nothing.—I am told God loves me—and yet the reality of darkness & coldness & emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul.

15. nakedpastor says:

David: Love that book.

16. andrée dion says:

I used "to hear the Lord speak to me" about everything. Than, life happened. Now, I sometimes feel that the Lord wants to tell someone that He loves them or that He sees their pain...stuff like that.
    Maybe when we begin in our christian faith we are like little children who need constant directions from their parents. And then we grow up and God expects us to know what we should do most of the times and He speaks to us less often? Just a theory...

17. nakedpastor says:

andrée: "life happened". true.

18. Doug Sloan says:

Can you have a nuturing relationship with someone who never speaks?

Can you usefully communicate with a deaf-mute who does not sign?

Can you be comforted by someone who loves you in silence?

Can you be helped by someone who points to paths you did not know existed and who reveals the location of open doors to which you had previously been blind and who does so without a single word?

The Good News is that the answer is "Yes".