What amazing things did Jesus say?
    What amazing philosophy?
    He wanted us to leave our families, give up all our possessions and get ready for the son-of-man to come.
    Lots of folks before him said great things about helping others. His cute stuff was nothing new. But then, of course, neither was his wacko stuff, I guess.

So I see why most Christians value their personal salvation more highly than his words.

Nothing new under the sun, eh?

The words attributed to Jesus are what create the philosophy of Christ-likeness, or living within the framework that Jesus taught.

Even if I reduce the words of Jesus to just the ‘Sermon on the Mount’, I am incredibly impressed at the philosophical challenges represented in those words.

Interesting article here showing inconsistencies in the things Jesus was reported to say in the sermon on the mount.

To preserve their Jesus, liberal Christians often red-line their Bibles, like Jefferson, so they can keep something precious.

All to say, I certain have not desire to be “Jesus-like” or “Christ-like” , the guy was a dooms day guy who wanted to keep the whole Jewish law and desert family and prepare immediately for the end times. Why would I want to be like a guy like that?

5. Ernie Marton says:

Perfect timing. I have been reading alot that has deconstructed me from Christianity and its dominant themes. I penned after todays reading: i think the way of jesus is so much more than the creeds about him. One actually challenges how i actually live the other actually can have no effect on how i live. Great timing David.

6. Gary says:

Caryn, I used to have the sermon on the mount memorized word for word. While I no longer hold to the same type of biblical allegiance I once did, I agree there are some powerful principles to live by in it.

Gary: your memory ability is beyond mine…. clearly so! lol. 🙂

And yes, I lean towards the principles being the most challenging.