Are you a closeted heretic?

"Closeted Heretic" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Closeted Heretic” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

LIKE THIS CARTOON? Buy the ORIGINAL or a REPRODUCTION PRINT!

Are you a closeted heretic? I was. I’m not anymore.

Sure, there’s criticism. But I feel more free.

But this is one of the things I help people do because I love helping people get free and to spiritually evolve.

1. Raymond Griffith says:

I was a closeted heretic! Now I am very open with my questions and my ideas. Fortunately I have a great church (Episcopalian) that supports the questions and makes a safe space for me.

It still isn’t safe in the wider world. Being a heretic has given others an excuse for hateful behavior (including my parents!) and rejection.

Thanks for this cartoon. It struck home.

It was also friends, family, girlfriend, institution that I was afraid to come out to. And indeed, I lost all but family. But no loss, in the end, new friends soon multiplied.

Yet one more thing about “heresy” is coming out to yourself. That is because, for many of us, we intuitively know that if we allow one heresy, the whole house of god-cards will probably fall. For some of us, more slowly than others, but we know that many more heresies lie in wait to take us down the dark road.

3. Thanks Raymond! Glad you have a place of safety. Many don’t.

Yes Sabio… coming out to yourself is huge and always the first step.

4. Raymond Griffith says:

Yup. Too true. My experience!

5. Harvey Joyner says:

Nope, I am a heretic wide-out in the open…and proud of it!

Raymond: if you are up to it, could you tell us more how the Episcopal church works with your questions and supplies a safe space? What are the limits of their box, so to speak?

I find the cartoon interesting, because when I came out in support of a simple Christianity, I found many friends longing for the same thing. So, yes, I am an outcast according to most American church denominations, but that is ok.

7. Jordan says: