God and Fox News

god and fox news cartoon by nakedpastor david hayward

“God and Fox News” (ink on paper, 8″x8″)

Theology is, technically, words about God. From the people by the people for the people. Sometimes we get it right. Often not.

Even the bible. It attempts to point to God with its crooked finger.

We can respect that for what it is. As long as we remember what it is.

(Many original cartoon drawings and prints are available, including this one! Email me if interested. Original drawings are $100 and prints are $25 plus shipping.)

CAN I HELP YOU? CLICK HERE!

1. Gary says:

“We can respect that for what it is. As long as we remember what it is.”

Such heresy. Such disrespect…nay BLASPHEMY!!

(Oh sorry…the old dogma was trying to sneak back in there for a moment…grin)

David this is brilliant. This is exactly where I am with the bible. Love it, respect it, know it way too well to idolize it.

2. Kimberly says:

“Even the bible. It attempts to point to God with its crooked finger.”

Brilliant as usual sir!

Any theology that claims that God is only one way for all time and all people in all places is hubris and heresy. God is outside all time and space so that means God is outside our mortal comprehension which can only perceive that which is in time and space. We may get glimpses but no one person, community or religion can encapsulate all of That Which Cannot Be Understood.

3. nakedpastor says:

why thanks kimberly 🙂 I like how you said, “That Which Cannot Be Understood”. I rarely use the word “God”. I usually say, “That Which We Call God”.

4. Chris says:

Gotta agree with everyone – this is brilliant – love it

5. Brigitte says:

All this on St. Nick’s day, Bishop of Myrna and slapper of the heretic Arius.

6. Randy Woehl says:

Excellent views shared above by Gary and Kimberly ! Well stated. Thanks David for the great cartoon of thought, Wonderful !

7. Kris says:

hahahahaha!

“That Which Cannot Be Understood”-excellent Kimberly! Just like the comic of a person trying to put God in a box, it’s impossible. We forget that God is limitless and to only limit Him/Her/It to one Book or one ideology is insulting.

8. Brigitte says:

What if he has limited himself and put himself humbly in the manger and is to be found there. To make him shapelessly limitless, is to allow you to give him the exact shape of your own imagination.

9. Gary says:

Brigitte – What if those who limit Him to the revelation of the manger ARE the ones who are giving Him the exact shape of their own imagination?

10. Kimberly says:

Brigette,

I totally buy into the narrative that God can and does self limit so we can get a glimpse. I even buy into the narrative of God self limiting to the humility of being born into poverty to an unwed mother and hanging out with all of a particular society’s outcasts. What I do not buy is that God only self limited one time, in one place, for one people, for all time.

KK

11. Gary says:

Exactly Kimberly. Perfectly stated.

12. Kimberly says:

13. Ha ha. Perfect analogy.

God said to Moses, ‘I am who I am.’

And dat’s dat.

14. Kris says:

God choose to come down in human form and can choose to come in whatever way God wants. And I realize the my imagination about God is ONLY MY IMAGINATION. That is what is so cool, the my imagination can’t even grasp the fullness of God. If I know everything about a God and have all the answers, what’s the point of worshiping or inquiring about that God?

15. Richard says:

Agreed…God is limitless. Don’t attempt to confine Him in a box and say “He will do this” or “He won’t do that” because it can usually be shown that he does or that He doesn’t. Is it not true that He has revealed Himself in Scripture because Jesus said that Scripture cannot be broken. Since that must be true, isn’t it dangerous to think otherwise?
    Now all Truth is certainly not confined to scripture. Truth can be found and discovered in many places yet The Truth is a Person…WOW!!! Beyond little old me!!!

16. Gary says:

Did Jesus really say scripture cannot be broken?

17. Meg says:

Love all of your comments. Thank you

18. Indeed David!

I don’t believe that Divine Love even knows the word ‘theology’ in all its omniscience and omnipresence.

Most of us ‘believers’ are drowning in ours!

19. What if he’s a she?

20. Vinny says:

With apologies to J.B.S. Haldane, I suspect that “that which we call God” is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.