Z-Theory #1: Dreams and Waterfalls

I had a dream:

There is a huge waterfall. I am looking up at the oceans of water coming over the edge of the cliff. The water explodes at the bottom, the impact of which creates all kinds of noise, mist and turbulence. The water spreads over the landscape, completely covering everything.

That’s it. But when I wake up, I immediately understand what it means:

This waterfall is a picture of What Is. You cannot see above the edge of the cliff. The Source is there but you cannot perceive it. It is infinite and therefore beyond the finite mind to grasp. The water falling and hitting the earth is the Incarnation. The What is emptied itself and became One with all. The water spreading out over the landscape and covering all is what we call spirit, that has accomplished the purpose of what we call the incarnation.

twitter me

Check out my tees HERE. I’m growing my inventory all the time. And check out my art HERE.

CAN I HELP YOU? CLICK HERE!

1. Alden says:

That’s a great image… thanks for sharing this!

2. nakedpastor says:

Alden: disturbing because it crashes my categories.

3. Jason Weaver says:

That is exactly why I don’t eat after 9:00PM…

4. Mich says:

Wow, nifty dream.

5. Gary Walter says:

Totality! “I Am.”

6. Fred says:

Somebody in our church had a vision about a year ago that was very similar to that.

7. Jason says:

… sounds apocalyptic. are you familiar with the Mayan ‘prophesies’? The “2012 catastrophe”?

8. Jenny says:

right on. cool dream. thanks for sharing. mine are more prosaic, so I appreciate the powerful dreams of others!

9. Sarah B says:

Amazing stuff. Reminds me of the river flower from the temple passage in Ezekiel 47.

10. Savvy says:

I have long held the view that water is the perfect analogy of God :c)

11. “….disturbing because it crashes my categories”(NP)….I’m surprised David,the dream seems quite orthodox,unless that is the ‘categorical issue’.

12. Jason…….”apocalyptic”?????????….hardly,unless yr aquaphobic 😉

13. nakedpastor says:

fif: here’s what’s crashing about it: we can’t see or know the infinite and almighty “God”. That God is no longer “up there” but incarnated. And that the Spirit (of Jesus) has covered and reconciled all flesh.

14. NP:…… “crashing’?…in the sense that God has come closer…nearer…in pursuit maybe?

15. John_F says:

Cool stuff.

16. As we say down south, “That’ll preach!”

17. Kathy says:

why David how very “The Shack” of you! Mr. Young would be proud 😉

18. Julia says:

I was just looking through some of your latest blogs to see what I’ve missed and saw this one.
    It really comforted me – the thought that god’s spirit is so close.
    Thanks.

19. Pete Grassow says:

Hi David.
    thank you for this image. With your permission – and appropriate acknowledgement – I would like to use this in my teaching tomorrow with my congregation.
    Pete

20. nakedpastor says:

Be my guest Pete. I dare you to tell people which blog you got it from!

21. Tiggy says:

That’s amazing! You should paint it or something. I sometimes write poems about my dreams.

I had a dream once in which I asked the Archbishop of Canterbury, ‘Why is the baptismal font by the exit of the church?’ (of course it’s by the entrance, but that’s the exit as well)

He answered, ‘Because of the cycles of birth and death.’

I have heard voices during dreams since I was young. Now that I blog, the voice often is writing part of a blog or making suggestions on ideas. When I program (write code), the voice will make suggestions for solving those problems too.

Some hear voices more easily than others. I am convinced the voices are our own mind helping us with models to solve problems we can’t get around in conscious mode. Sounds like your mind is indeed your friend.