Robin Williams dead: a tribute cartoon

"Robin Williams" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Robin Williams” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

Robin Williams has died. It is believed he took his own life.

I’ve done several tribute cartoons to people who have died. Of course, I don’t do one for everyone I hear about who has died. I do for those who have had a significant impact on my life.

So I did one for an online friend who also took his own life, Jacob Heynen.

Roger Ebert.

Brennan Manning.

Dallas Willard.

Father Andrew Greeley.

Pete Seeger.

Maya Angelou.

Some conclude that because I draw pictures of Heaven and Pearly Gates and St. Peter and angels, that I believe in these things. This is not the point I’m trying to make. The point I’m trying to communicate in the cartoon is that we are all one. I hope these cartoons help us all feel connected.

Williams was raised Episcopal, which he called “Catholic Lite… same religion, half the guilt!”

I was always so impressed with Williams. Even in the very earliest days with Mork and Mindy. “Na-nu Na-nu” was Mork’s greeting. He could always make me laugh. Especially when he was most offensive. I loved the courage that let him take on anything! His standup, interviews and comedies were always a delight.

But when I saw Awakenings, Dead Poets Society and What Dreams May Come, I also saw how incredibly versatile he was.

In fact, one of the creepiest films I’ve ever seen is One Hour Photo.

His incredibly quick and sharp wit was simply amazing! One of the funniest examples of this was when the director of Awakenings mistakenly said the film took place in a “menstrual hospital” instead of “mental hospital”, Williams immediately said, “It’s a period piece.”

He’s going to be missed.

R.I.P. Robin Williams!

If you struggle with thoughts of taking your own life, please call the suicide hotline in your country.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

RW was one of my favorites too. He is missed. Nice tribute, David !
    Na-no-na-no

2. Diana A. says:

One of the greats. Miss him already.

3. Cecilia Davidson says:

Na-nu na-nu.

4. Brian LePort says:

This is a great comic. Thanks.

5. Car says:

Not so long ago, I watched his movie Good Will Hunting, first I didn’t understand the title, but it’s only name. 🙂

6. Heidi says:

It hit me really hard when Robin Williams died…Years back when I took something called the Myers Briggs personality test, I found out I was an ENFP. http://www.typelogic.com/enfp.html – another good one as some of the other doesn’t fit me anyway here http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html) Then I found out Robin Williams was an ENFP. I was so proud of the fact that I was the same personality type as him. I still am.

They say that ENFP’s have a silly switch. (My best friend from high school Jennie could attest to that- Sometimes I couldn’t turn it off:p) You saw that in Robin Williams in “Good Morning Vietnam” in “Mrs. Doubtfire” and how he ad libbed in Aladdin.

Especially Aladdin.

That man pretty much wrote his own script.

Despite everything, children eons from now will be singing “Let me take your order jot it down you ain’t NEVA had a friend like me” (I bet you just read that in Robin Williams voice, didn’t you? ;p)

That is what makes him so timeless. He was an original. A legend.

Whatever his last thoughts were, he will never be forgotten.

From the bottom of my heart, Robin Williams, whatever your demons were, now you are free. (Sad as it may be that he is gone- I wish that he would have stayed. But in the last day or so it has come out that he had Parkinson’s disease..(http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease/) Now maybe I understand a little better.

With that said, so many are stating that “saying he is free is glorifying suicide”. I do not believe it is…whats done is done and it can’t be turned back, no matter how much all of us wish we could. and I believe that the person who posted the Genie with Aladdin saying “Now you are free” was just trying to make the best of a unspeakably sad situation. And I imagine they would feel horrified to think that people may think they are glorifying suicide. In my mind they aren’t.

As his daughter Zelda so beautifully said “While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay”, I like so many others wish he had stayed. We will never again get to see his genius. (I ended up writing a blog about him… http://songsofaletheia.blogspot.com/2014/08/robin-williams.html

7. Mich says:

Catholic lite!!! Period piece!!! That’s great. Too funny and way too quick!!

Yes, good films and very creepy One Hour Photo!