two opposing views of church

two opposing views of church by nakedpastor david hayward
(*Several of my original cartoon drawings and prints are available, including this one! Email me if interested. Originals are $125 and prints are $30… plus shipping.)

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

Creative!

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  2. jason H says:

awesome!

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  3. Kris says:

That's good:)

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

This cartoon says soooo much to me. The two views of the church -

that the church must contain, validate, appoint, consecrate, ordain, etc. is on the left.

and that God reaches far beyond the church is on the right.

If God's people catch this insight, then the church will move to the right picture, and become an enabler, encourager, comforter, edifier, and launching pad for God's love into the world.

Loved this one! Caryn

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  5. Brigitte says:

Here is a poem that I just read this weekend in my German hymnal. I will give it first in German and then translate it. No doubt my translation will lack something but, here it goes. I think it is such a lovely poem with great imagery, and I think it speaks to the cartoon. The author is Jossif Broskij, Russian poet and author, if it is the same guy I googled, "Joseph Brodsky", who one a Nobel prize in literature. (I really have no idea if that's the same person. Maybe someone knows.)

"Im Dorf wohnt Gott nicht in den Zimmerecken nur, wie Spoetter meinen, sondern ueberall. Er heiligt Daecher, Teller, Schuesseln, Pfannen, teilt ehrlich jede Doppeltuer in Haelften. Im Dorf ist Gott im Ueberfluss vorhanden. Im Eisentopf kocht er am Samstag Linsen, er taenzelt leicht verschlafen ueberm Feuer und winkt mir als dem Augenzeugen zu. Er setzt die Zaeune, gibt ein junges Maedchen dem Foersterssohn zur Frau, und spasseshalber laesst er schier tausendmal den Wildhueter nicht treffen, wenn er auf die Ente anlegt. Die Moeglichkeit, dies alles wahrzunehmen--beim Lauschen auf des Herzens Toene--, ist uebrigens die einzige Gnade, die im Dorf dem Atheisten offen steht."

My translation, a better one is probably available somewhere.

"In the village,
    God does not only live in the corners of the ceiling,
    as many scoffers like to say,
    but everywhere.

He sanctifies roofs and plates,
    bowls and cooking pans,
    and honestly devides every double door
    into halves.

In the village,
    God is found in great overabundance.

On Saturday, he cooks lentils in the
    big iron pot.
    He dances sleepily over the fire
    and waves at me, as to a witness.
    He sets up the fences and gives the
    son of the forest warden a nice young
    woman for a wife.

And for sure playful fun he lets the
    game warden miss the duck he tries to
    shoot about one thousand times.

The openness to recognize all these things,
    by listening to the sounds of the heart,
    is by the way,
    the only grace,
    which is open to the
    atheist in the village."

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  6. Barry House says:

They are indeed opposing views.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)