leave your garbage

leave your garbage cartoon by nakedpastor david hayward

“Leave Your Garbage” by David Hayward (pen on paper, 8″x8″)

(*Most of my original cartoon drawings are available, as well as prints. Email me if interested.)

All churches admit we have garbage. But many churches don’t want to see it. And if they do, most want you to dispose of it in due time.

I’ve seen amazing transformation when we admit we have garbage and are free to be honest about it. In fact, we may discover that it isn’t garbage at all, but more like compost. When folded in and integrated with who we are, this compost makes for amazingly deep and beautifully complex people.

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

1. Steve Martin says:

During Lent, we sometimes write down whatever is dogging us (our garbage) on a piece of paper and then literally nail it (with hammer and nails) to a full sized cross that is leaning upon our communion railing.

He wants out garbage. he want us to bring it to church and hand it to Him.

He wants us to hand it to Him wherever we are.

Give it up! It belongs to Him now. He paid for all that crap, so give it to Him!

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  2. Richard says:

Well said Steve.
    For everyone, there is always something.
    So...we should be careful who we criticise.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  3. Liza says:

In church, I have gone up for prayer so many times but never felt cleansed. I always struggled time and time again with the same problems. Since I have stopped going to church these burdens have lifted a little at a time and I feel so much better now. After reading the book "So You Don't Want to go to Church Anymore" it seems the reason this was happening was because the church tries to teach you to have "precepts" which doesn't help you get closer to God, but instead teachs you to live by acts, as if acts are going to bring you into a closer relationship with God. But it's getting closer to God that makes it easier to not sin, gives you peace, lifts guilt. A church is supposed to lead people into a relationship with God, not teach that what you do brings God closer to you. So until churches stop trying to expect members to be perfect and accept that they themselves are flawed your garbage will not go anywhere.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  4. Kris says:

I really like the idea of what we call garbage being called compost. I have come to accept that all my experiences, good and bad, make me who I am. We want to avoid bad feelings and situations, even when it is clear that we cannot. And it is in those difficult times that we draw closer to God and really learn how strong we are.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  5. Steve Martin says:

Thanks, Richard. And you are correct. Everyone has their baggage (garbage).

Exactly, Liza.

What we do, or don't do will not bring God any closer. He already resides in the hearts of sinners. Those who know their need of Him.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  6. Richard says:

I think the scriptures teach that we are permanently flawed until our redemption fully comes. The idea, though, is to improve. There are plenty of really bad and cruel guys out there. You are right Liza, the only way that can happen is if we lean in our Saviour and that is by appreciating Him and by being close to Him. Our acts don't cut it. Our acts are a result of it and even then they don't cut it. He is just too big and too loving.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  7. Dan says:

Parts of Anchorage do not have curbside recycling so we have a recycling center in our parking lot. Our motto---- bring your garbage to church, what can't be recycled can be forgiven

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  8. PrayerPunk says:

Meditation helped me clear out a lot of my own garbage, and to be at peace with what is left. Being Christian isn't about not sinning, but admitting we are sinners. So many Churches put to much emphasis on believing the right thing, and on their own do's and do not's that they forget to teach people how to get closer to God. That's sad. But it is also up to us to help each other, and not leave it all up to the pastor, and we as individuals have to work out our own salvation. I know I'm sort of jumping around and rambling, we just brought home two pit bull puppies who were being abused and they have been attacking me and my laptop the whole time I've been trying to write. Anyway, try meditation. I used to teach Christian meditation in prison, and it worked wonders bringing men with way to much garbage closer to God.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  9. Hb says:

Any church who preaches works as you guys call it is only teaching the Christian life. They are teaching discipleship. It's called holiness. It's what Paul spent his life doing. Paul and the disciples dedicated their lives teaching holiness and consecration and the true meaning of the grace of God to newborn Christians and to the Gentiles. It is actually the mission of every church to preach these things.
    It is not the mission of the church to preach and teach about love and grace all the time (although it happens A LOT now because people just don't seem to understand or get the message the first time they hear it, or the second time, or the third, and they don't involve themselves with the word of God enough) because people need to be founded on meat. God's love for us is milk. And we are to grow. Not just stay focused on the basics. We need meat as mature christians. I'm thankful for our churches. No, one cannot be saved with works, but one can indeed please God with our good works. Because it says so in His word to DO good works. If it didn't please him, why would he tell us to do them? Wake up and smell the coffee people!
    Love to you all.