two theological libraries

two theological libraries

In Philippians 2, when the writer encourages the community to be like-minded, he immediately launches into a hymn about the emptying of God and the humiliation of Jesus. The Pauline writings reveal the intense focus on this theme.

By their fruit you will know them. Knowledge is important, but it must stem from humility and love. If the fruit of a certain theology is arrogance, hatred and division, then it should be obvious that its roots are planted in bad soil.

Do you want to invite me to speak? Or do you just need to talk? Just email me to set up a time. My fees are reasonable and adjustable.

Check out my books and my gallery.

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

1. Vie says:

What I've been struggling with in Christian circles recently is this, exactly this. People making petty arguments over denominations, forerunners of the reformation, election, and even things like pre-marital sex and homosexuality and transgenders, the latter of which doesn't even have anything to DO with the bible! It's immensely frustrating...

2. David Waters says:

We all have fertilizer in our lives, that seems to be a main theme too!

3. Gary says:

Ironically enough...our faith is one that claims to have all the answers.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  4. I thought of a similar situation, except the top library contains volumes of descriptions of people's experiences with God. The lower library contains volumes of people commenting on commentaries of centuries-old writings in which people speculated about God with no mention of personal experience. The top one has even fewer books, and the lower one is bulging and spilling onto the floor.

5. Brigitte says:

Books and discussions are fine. Inquisitions, torture, bloodshed are not. If someone wants to stick with the basics--which is a perfectly good idea--might I recommend Luther's small catechism with Bible proofs??????

6. Christine says:

Definitely still on the lower shelf, Brigitte.

And "biblical proofs"? You mean, proof-texting. YIKES!

7. Christine says:

Sh*t, Brigitte! There's slavery in there! Is this really the guiding document of your church???

8. Doug Sloan says:

Two things to remember about the Bible:

1) It calls to move forward and beyond what is in the Bible.

2) It provides at least three kinds of behavior: behavior to emulate, behavior to avoide, and hypothetical behavior such as found in the parables and used to ponder / explore / question .

9. Doug Sloan says:

Two things to remember about the Bible:

1) It calls to move forward and beyond what is in the Bible.

2) It provides at least three kinds of behavior: behavior to emulate, behavior to avoide, and hypothetical behavior such as found in the parables and used to ponder / explore / question.

10. Brigitte says:

The link above is not an "official" version of catechism of LCMS, as also evidenced by the spelling mistakes. The "explanations" are a later add-on. The official current version has a copy right, so needs to be purchased (I think that's a bit of a problem). Below is an e-version for purchase, for example.

11. Christine says:

You have to buy it?? Again - YIKES! I can't imagine a church not wanting others to know what they believe - not offering that information freely.

But the fact that the other version is not official makes it no less disturbing - nor less disturbing that you thought this was a good "back to basics" offering.

The "explanations" and "bible proofs" are so desperately out of context it actually hurts. And the slavery bit is there, with its implications fully understood - in addition to the caustic dismissal of rights and equality to a number of groups, along with a disturbing degree of control and power given to (male-only) church officials.

YIKES. YIKES. YIKES!

It's so disturbingly bad I find myself re-examining what you've said up to this point on these threads... Got to say, as much as we disagree, this is worse than I would have expected.

12. Christine says:

I trying to figure out why I thought Lutherans were moderate. I got the impression they had modernized themselves, adjusted for 16th century European bias - and that there was at least some scholastic credibility on Lurther's coatails.

Any Lutherans here that find that link nausiating? Really curious if it's the whole denomination, or just a sect.

13. Brigitte says:

What the heck are you saying about "slavery?" No clue.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  14. Theological discussion rapidly turns into theological violence thanks largely to the religious ego, which thrives on separation and difference.

Many of us who claim to follow the Prince of Peace just love to skewer a brother/sister with the twist of a decisive text.

Think I'll stick to parables.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  15. Theological discussion rapidly turns into theological violence thanks largely to the religious ego, which thrives on separation and difference.

Think I'll stick to parables.

Great post.
    Many folks focus on "right belief", "getting it right", "keeping the flock pure" and many other idea-centered approaches whose foundations are emotions of fear, hate, insecurity and such.

This library cartoon inspired me to draw and post my own cartoon here which illustrates where many people get their theology when its not from a library.

17. Christine says:

@Brigitte -

Ninth commandment on covetting is extending to mean halso helping other to keep their possessions - including extreme wealth and "manservants and maidservants". It goes on to imply that you should iensure that "helpers" and "workers" *owned* by others should be encourage by all Christians not to leave their employers/owners. I though they might have just missed the implications, but then they illustrate this with a biblical narative - that of Paul returning a runaway slave. The implication was clear and the author was not ignorant of it.

Just one of the disturbing element... there were so many...

18. Brigitte says:

I appreciate you reading it carefully, Christine, and I thought that you might read it... and I worried that you would get upset about a whole bunch of things... and I worried that there'd be no one to talk it over with you. -- If you do want to talk it over, you know where to find me; otherwise, this blog thread might not be the place to roll it all out. But we could do it if NP is ok with it and Sabio could be reasonable.

In terms of slavery... You seem like an educated person so I don't want to recap to much, but... The Roman Empire was autocratic and Christ's kingdom had just only come and was and is not of this world, as he said. The Jews were under the Roman joke and could not free themselves, though they tried with some efforts and then ended up destroyed in 70 AD for their insurrection. You know the story, I assume. They lived in dispersion, suffering and persecution until recent times, and even since Israel was formed again, the nation hardly has had any peace whatsoever. There is a net migration of Jews out of Palestine, at this time... Anyhow. Slavery and abuse of slaves is never anything that is endorsed. When most new Christians feared for their lives just for believing and worshiping as they did, they were in no position to start a political uproar based on their religion. Where Christians have some power, as in our democratic countries they can rise together to come up with a position on moral matters. But even nowadays, lots of people think Christians should shut up on moral issues... I'll leave it at that. XO

19. Gary says:

"But even nowadays, lots of people think Christians should shut up on moral issues… "

I do believe we should shut up on moral matters. Not because I don't have any morals (I have very strong beliefs on personal right and wrong in fact) but because it detracts from the message of the Gospel. Exposing sin and sin management is not the good news we have been given to share. In fact Jesus did not spend time on managing sin...rather He focused on illustrating love and confronting the lack of it. "Go and sin no more" was a man made biblical add on centuries later.

Simply put...confronting sin has little to nothing to do with sharing the Gospel. The Spirit of God changes a person's heart and values...not belligerent and confrontational Christians.

20. Christine says:

Brigitte:

I can put your mind at ease and tell you that your apparent concern was entirely misplaced.

I did read some, skimmed through the rest. I was equal parts offended, angry, amazed, disgusted and thoroughly amused. Ok, more amused than those other things. I did have someone to talk about it with. Cindy and I marvelled together about how anyone could view such material as legitimate and had a good laugh about how ridiculous it was.

It was far from my first time seeing a group take the bible way out of context - or use it as a tool of oppression. (I am gay, remember? It`s par for the course.)

More than that, since I don`t give any weight or grant any authority to that document, I`m really not much affected by what it says. My shock was that anyone *would* believe it - not that I was discouraged that any of those things might actually be true. I don`t need to `talk it over` with you. I think you should take a closer look at it yourself with a bit more of a critical eye.

And I don`t need a history lesson. It`s not relevant anyway. The document you linked to was written in 1991 (I checked). And it endorses slavery. I would have thought they`d have moved past the first century cultural influences by now.

21. Christine says:

Gary:

Seriously? The gospel - the good news - is about feeding the hungry, healing the sick, clothing the naked, freeing the captive. Those *are* our moral issues. And we have a responsibility to see them through.