reverse rapture

I don’t like pictures of people floating up into the sky in the rapture. I think they are silly. So I thought I’d add to the silliness by presenting another theory that it’s not the people who are raptured, but their clothes. That would leave a few naked parishioners around who might need a nakedpastor.

I like Karl Barth’s idea that the last day was the removing of the veil which separates us from perceiving the Reality that is already there. On that day we will finally see things as they really are.

If you are going through a transition in your life, I provide transition support. If you want to talk, email me.

My BOOKS.

My ART.

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

1. Jag says:

Just brilliant… thanks!

2. Jacquie Kernick says:

Agree. Rapture pictures are very reminiscent of the children’s Christmas story/pictures of “The Snowman”….”We’re walking in the air.”

The Rapture and End Times are biggies here in the UK for many (not me, I hasten to add)…sometimes I think they are caught up already despite waiting and expecting the BIG event.

Definitely they need NP :)

3. Becky in Florida says:

Priceless. Just priceless. One of my favorites!

I had to explain this to my atheist daughter. It was difficult. Your cartoons always give me a chance to teach my 4th grade daughter theology.

She laughed after I explained. But I can’t tell if she laughed at the cartoon’s pointing fun at the rapture notion or at the bizarre theology of it all.

Did Bart saying “that the last day WAS the removing of the veil which separates us from perceiving the Reality” or “that the last day WILL BE the removing of the veil which separates us from perceiving the Reality”?

If it is in the future, it is just plain cruel to keep up blind. If it was in the past, then something is missing.

5. Gary says:

I like this David. Wouldn’t that be a hoot?

6. Bonnie says:

I think I’m pretty much naked and unashamed…Is lonely tho…any suggestions?…maybe I should be concerned about ‘brand names’ if that’s what’s gonna ascend, LOL :O :D!<3

7. Magdalena says:

The Final Judgment altar painting in the Sistine Chapel has Christ (mostly) naked, which was very shocking – not because of the lack of clothes, as He was often depicted near-naked at the baptism and the crucifixion, and even the resurrection, but because He is not portrayed as an emperor, pope, general or king. The many naked saints and resurrected believers in the painting got an overpainting years after the piece was finished, and the artists who “improved” Michelangelo’s masterpiece were known as “The Great Underwear Painters.”

8. Gary says:

@Magdalena,

I have heard this before. What a tragedy…that we have taken the beauty of God’s creation and made it into something we believe to be dirty and shameful.

9. Steve Martin says:

Christ loves to pull people out of the grave.

Will He do it before they die on that last Day?

Who knows? I doubt any of us will find out…but we might. However God decides to do it, will be fine with me. :D

10. Darrin says:

Awesome! New favorite

I forgot to add: resonating with Gary’s and Magdalena’s comments above, David’s cartoons involving nudity, including the Sophia drawings, have been a wonderful chance to discuss the beauty of the body and no need for shame of nudity with my daughter who is an artist-in-the-making. She loves David’s art.

12. Pastor Dan says:

I like it. It reminds me of the old Arlo Guthrie monologue about the the un-neutron bomb where in war “bomb” and all the tanks, guns and uniforms would disappear just leaving a bunch of naked people who might then have ideas other than fighting.

13. Bernetra says:

LOVE IT!!!!!

14. Sarah says:

Ha ha!

15. andrew says:

The answer is in the Bible! The rapture will not be a slow ascension; it will be quicker than the blink of an eye: ‘…we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye’ (1 Cor. 15: 51).The term ‘rapture’ (Latin) is equivalent to the Greek ‘harpagesometha’ in 1 Thess. 4: 17, meaning to be ‘caught up’.

16. nakedpastor says:

oh geez i didn’t know that.

Well maybe we can satisfy andrew by saying that NP’s fun cartoon illustrates what a high speed camera may catch in between the “blink of an eye”.

18. Gary says:

Of course Andrew…saying the rapture “is in the bible” is a bit like saying we are forbidden to drink alcohol because it “is in the bible”. The whole notion of the rapture is rather new on the scene of Christianity.

@ Gary
    Even if “rapture” were “old on the scene of Christianity” wouldn’t mean we could make fun of it. Original Christianity is no more protected from silliness than modern Christianity. Trying to return to Early Christianity seems like a mistake its own right.

20. Gary says:

@Sabio,

Return to early Christianity? I would never suggest such a thing. (Other than attempting to be true to the timeless teachings of Jesus)

And of course we can make fun of it.

@ Gary
    (1) Ah, I thought you were chastising andrew by saying that his idea of rapture was not real Christianity because it was modern and not part of early Christianity.

(2) So what is a “timeless teaching”? Are Lao Tsu’s teachings timeless? Are the Siddartha’s? Are Joseph Smith’s, Are Aristotle’s? Are Euclid’s Are Mohammed’s? Are Ghandi’s?

You get the pattern. I think we need to pause before making such broad reflexive tribal statements.

22. Gary says:

@Sabio

Sigh…you wear me out sometimes.

Tell you what…how about YOU “pause before making such broad reflexive tribal statements”.

In case you forgot I am a believer in Christ and this is my view of reality. I believe the teachings of Jesus are timeless because I believe He was God in the flesh. Your taking exception to my statement is a refection of your own “tribal” beliefs.

Gary :

I am so glad to hear that I wear you out.
    But back to the question you sidesteped.

If you are going to tell us that Jesus’ teachings are “timeless”, then it seems reasonable for us to ask you “What do you mean by ‘timeless’?”

If you give me criteria for judging “timeless teachings”, I can determine:
    (1) which of Jesus’ teachings are timeless
    (2) how other teachings compare to Jesus’

If I even had a semblence of that notion, your statement would be informative and not just a banner.

Remember, Hindus believe Krishna’s teaching were timeless because he was the Divine in human flesh.

Do you really believe, as you said that “[Jesus'] teaching were timeless because you believe He was God in the flesh.”? Or that he was God in the flesh because his teachings are timeless?

Andrew believes the rapture is part of those timeless teachings, doesn’t he [albeit passed on through his followers]?

24. Gary says:

Sabio:

It really bugs the hell out of you when you can’t control the conversation doesn’t it?

That irony (that you couldn’t see) is on full display now. grin

@ Gary
    Nah, I was just trying to clarify your pronouncements. But it seems you don’t like to be questioned.

26. Gary says:

@Sabio

Hey if that conclusion works for ya…then by all means run with it.

27. carol says:

Grinning and giggling…toe to head… but I’m dressed. :D
    I reckon I got missed!!!!

These are great!!

28. jochanaan says:

Thanks for the best theological laugh I’ve had in a long time! :D

Oh, if my clothes were “raptured,” I’d be enraptured! As long as the weather wasn’t too cold. *lol*

29. nakedpastor says: