bad dream

I am quite certain that every pastor, minister, priest, imam, rabbi, preacher, teacher… etc… has experienced this. It is terrifying to question your beliefs. It’s doubly so when you are expected to teach those questioned beliefs.

For some it is episodic. For others it is chronic.

Like I tweeted last night:

Asking yourself “Do I still really believe?” is one of the most daring, courageous and necessary questions you can ask yourself.

****************

I provide transition support. If you want to make arrangements to talk, email me.

My BOOKS.

My ART.

1. John Squires says:

Yes, it is terrifying, no doubt about that. But is preaching necessarily to be completely understood as teaching? or can it include dimensions such as questioning, probing, exploring? If we testify to our doubts and uncertainties, can’t that have its own power of authenticity and demonstrate how faith/trust actually works?

2. Connie says:

I know I still believe. My “believer” won’t stop working. What I believe, though, is still up for grabs. Jury’s still out I that, I’m afraid.

3. nakedpastor says:

I love how you put that Connie… my “believer” won’t stop working. i get that.

4. Beth says:

I’m with John and Connie…now if I can just be vulnerable and admit that to others!

5. Gary says:

My pastoring days were over many years before I began to have doubts but I can totally relate to this from a teaching standpoint. I spent a good number of years trying to modify my teaching and find a balance between what I really believed and what would be acceptable to the fundamental church I was in. Finally the disconnect was so great I simply felt it was time to leave…but it was a long personal struggle leading up to it.

6. Brianmpei says:

I’ve just found that sharing my doubts liberates the community of which I am a part. I’m sometimes met by friends who feel they have answers for my questions but no one insists I pretend I don’t have doubts.