stretched

Why does religion seem to be in the shrinking business? Shrinking minds and hearts and worlds? Why has Jesus become a builder of walls and fences instead of a force to be dealt with who has crashed and demolished all barriers and edifices? What happened to the Jesus who has disturbed, disrupted and dispersed the powers? What happened to the person who was so radical that the only way to fix it was to kill him? What happened to the new wine that stretches the old wineskins until they burst and splashes wine all over the place, staining everyone around forever?

Get the my book full of cartoons like this one from amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.de.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Rocco says:

The Christ’s had some fancy chairs! 😉

2. Gene says:

I think we’re entering a post-religious era in the West.

3. Sam Cleary says:

So true! As has happened with many live spiritual process, after getting mired in dogma and politics, much of the original message has been lost. I still look to live processes like the Isha Kriya as a means to stay connected to Christ in an experiential way. Thanks for this, it really struck a chord.

4. Johnfom says:

By my reckkoning we’re at least 25 years (if not 30) into the transition to a post-religious era. Not that it’ll be a post-spiritual, or post faith era, but the religious structures are seeing the beginnings of the change.

Much as Pietism and the Moravians seem to be the mother of revivalist evangelicalism (with the Enlightenment being it’s father) I think Evangelicalism and maybe Pentecostalism is birthing a new ‘revival’ of faith (with Post-Modernity as daddy this time).

I tend to start the change around the cross-denominational co-operation I saw in the 80s with the house church and non-denominational boom in the 90s, then the emerging church experiments of the naughties being continuations of the same aim of trying to reduce the barriers and edifices. For me, the post-churched movement, if it can be called a movement, will be the descriptor of the teens. All moving towards what Bonhoeffer might have termed religionless christianity.

Bonhoeffer was probably just a little ahead of his time with his thinking.

Maybe not as dramatic or sudden as Jesus was, but at least as ‘radical’ as Luther and Knox or Wesley and Carey.

5. Steve Martin says:

I think that there is and always will be plenty of religion.

‘Religion’ being that which WE DO to try to ascend to, or please God.

I think God has been fed up with that stuff for a long, long time. He’s not interested in WHAT WE DO to make ourselves right with Himself. He’s already taken care of that in Christ Jesus.

Now, He’s just looking for people who will trust in what He’s already done, is still doing, and what he will yet do. That’s faith. And that is what God is after.

6. fishon says:

Why does religion seem to be in the shrinking business?
    —–“Religion” is growing at an amazing clip.

—–What “walls and fences” has Jesus been building?

—–Nothing! He surely is disturbing Millions of Muslims and the new atheist movement.

—–Why absolutely nothing has happened to him. You might want to check out some of His modern day martyrs and the untold number in prisons. Ask them that question.

—–Nice question. What does it mean?

7. Sarah says:

Because people don’t let it just be them and him, they think thy have to have a plan.

It’s just you and me in’t it.

8. shelly says:

Jesus himself hasn’t, obviously, but others have portrayed him as “a builder of walls and fences” through their actions toward others (including toward fellow believers).

9. Sylvia LaFrance says:

“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” Ghandi
    Perhaps if Christians were more like Christ… it would speak better for Christianity as a whole. I’m a non-church Christian… I rely on prayer… and I put my money into doing good works instead of it being run through a church building that takes it cut. Jesus didn’t build walls… he still loves all… just like he always did.