nightmare confession

Imagine! How will Bill preach this morning?

Probably with a lot more humility and tentativeness. His “boldness”, rather than grounded in his presumptuous pontifications, will be grounded more in the certainty of a profound Mystery and a fathomless Compassion for all.

He will now see that Truth is a destination he is travelling toward rather than a base from which he launches attacks.

Buy a print of this cartoon.
Own the original drawing.
I published a book of my cartoons! amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.de.

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)

1. sam scoville says:

It is TRUE that I teach with a base from which I launch attacks, afflicting the comfortable if I can get away with it, and tweaking the afflicted too (twisting the knife somewhat: keeping the agon (y) alive). I'm certain of the Profound Mystery but not so certain THEY are, know what I mean? And so: tease and taunt and prod and provoke. Dirty work. And I can't confess to a "fathomless compassion for ALL" though I seem sometimes surrounded by them who DO (claim it)--and that stirs the devil in me, I admit it and will sign the paper.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  2. Matt Oxley says:

I think many would rather just not gain entrance than sign said agreement.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  3. obscuritus says:

While I don't wake up in a cold sweat over sermons I delivered over 25 years, but I do cringe a lot when I remember some of the content that I taught and the attitude with which I taught it. I don't want to re-enter the institutional bubble but I would like to have less regret about what people may remember me for. I think my intentions were good but the information that was delivered to me by my upbringing and professional training were sorely infected by Westernized thinking. I wish I knew then what I'm learning now. Rather than nightmares, I dream of discussing "theology" with others on a similar trajectory.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  4. sam scoville says:

The Lapsed Fundamentalist is still Fundamental whacking the porcupine, smacking the tar baby, o you bastards! pounding the chest, invoking
    all the terms and images of that against which one rails, rants and rages: antithetical antagonist,
    How to get free of the how-to-get- free agenda? Free at last, free at last etc.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  5. John T says:

Am I the only pastor that has actually had dreams similar to this cartoon? Thanks David for helping me.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  6. Oh, David...you did it again. I often wonder if I'll ever recover from the knowledge that for 35 years, the certainties I taught, weren't/aren't.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  7. sam scoville says:

Ludic: play, game
    Illudic: (deluded, illuson) NOT in play NOT in game.

Pray for Disillusionmental Studies and Leadership programs.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  8. 'I've had a dream......."

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  9. Crystal says:

*Sigh* Wow. Wake up, Christianity. :(

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
  10. fishon says:

------Some of Truth's destination has already been discovered.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)