cartoon t-shirt idea: hard candy

fundamentalist

I know fundamentalists. This tee is a testimony to some I know who are willing to relax their dogmatic beliefs for the sake of love. They come across as stubbornly dogmatic, but when a crisis arises, their gentleness and openness takes precedence. Grace, for these fundamentalists, trumps doctrine. Then there are some other fundamentalists I know who are dogmatic and hard through and through. Even in the most heart-wrenching situations, they seem coldly indifferent. I am convinced that religion or faith is not the problem, but the fundamentalist mindset in all its forms, whether in a religious, non-religious, scientific, political, intellectual, cultural or atheistic context. It is the mindset that is willing to reject, expel, alienate or even destroy those who disagree or differ.

COMMUNITY       TALK       BOOKS       ART       TEES

THE COMMENTS DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT OR EXPRESS THE OPINION OF THIS BLOG, NAKEDPASTOR, OR THE WRITER, DAVID HAYWARD, BUT ARE SOLELY THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY THE WRITER OF THE COMMENT.

1. ID says:

Fundamentalism is simply excessive attachment to a particular model: its renunciation is freedom.

2. Fred says:

Agreed.

3. ally c says:

Great post to read after this morning’s chapel service in regard to non-Christians at a Christian university. Mind if I email this to our speaker?

4. nakedpastor says:

ally: sure. send it. he or she can contact me if he or she wants.

5. Boethius says:

NP:

I am so glad you did not type-cast all fundamentalists as being the same.

6. preacherlady says:

Reminds me of someone who visits this blog often.

7. Tiggy says:

Yeah, where is he? I always miss him when he’s not here. I tend to forget he’s a preacher – one has to make allowances. Like me with correcting people’s English. I’m a proofreader and I can’t help it.

I don’t tend to come across hard-nosed fundamentalists in the UK. I think we exported them all, then breathed a huge sigh of relief and got on with our roistering.

8. preacherlady says:

I e-mailed him earlier to tell him today’s post reminded me of him. He’s a perfect example…hard nosed about what he believes, but loving and kind at the core.

9. Tiggy says:

People’s minds work in such different ways. That’s what I’ve learned from Myers-Briggs/Jung. Some people value facts you can assent to, others symbols and meanings, others value logic and verifiability, while still others value emotions and values. I’m an Intuitive so it doesn’t mean that much to me whether Jesus did certain things or not, it’s the meaning expressed that matters, but that can seem very odd and almost impossible to a person who relies on external facts.

10. preacherlady says:

When scripture is looked at metaphysically and metaphorically it takes on a new and deeper meaning.

11. Tiggy says:

That’s how Jewish people looked at the scriptures and presumably how Jesus would have.

‘Midrash minimizes the authority of the wording of the text as communication, normal language. It places the focus on the reader and the personal struggle of the reader to reach an acceptable moral application of the text. While it is always governed by the wording of the text, it allows for the reader to project his or her inner struggle into the text.’

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ/03-Torah-Halacha/section-25.html#ixzz0VOUI9cQV

12. Tiggy…I wd think it’s important to clarify the personality type or the differences between types when discussing matters of religion. There’s a large gulf between those who want things to be factual and those who are willing to accept a narrative that wd include myth,legend, metaphor,etc.

13. Tiggy says:

I thought of an example after I’d posted that about personality types.

I dont’ have any problem believing in the Virgin birth; what bothers me is the glorification of virginity as a valued commodity.

14. Tiggy….you mean you believe it to be factual?

15. Tiggy says:

I’m kind of indifferent to whether it was factually true or not. I don’t mind believing in it if it’s considered necessary just to, you know, be obliging. I mean I know that the word for ‘virgin’ also meant a young woman and that one of the gospel writers doesn’t mention it at all and nor does Paul, but I’m happy to go along with it. I don’t have any strong feelings on the matter. I’m quite an extreme Intuitive though according to my MBTI scores.

16. preacherlady says:

Hmmm…I had made a comment last night and for some reason it didn’t print. There’s a difference between Hebrew thought and Greek thought and this is where the conflicts come in. Greek thought gives us the fundamentalist, literal mindset, and although the NT was written in Greek or Aramaic, the writers were Hebrews. The Greek translates differently into English than into Hebrew, or it least it doesn’t reflect the thought of the day. The Hebrew thought is all inclusive and metaphorical. Check out Skip Moen…he’s an authority on such stuff.

17. Tiggy says:

I don’t get why the Greeks would suddenly come all over fundamentalist. The Romans, yes, very legally minded, but the Greeks were more oriental in their thinking.

18. preacherlady says:

Tiggy, check out Skip Moen…he can explain it better than I.

19. Tiggy says:

Well i went to his website, but couldn’t find anything specifically relating to that. I enrolled for his free thirty day email course. I hope the emails aren’t too long or have stuff on video.

20. preacherlady says:

No videos and they aren’t too long. Somewhere in there, or in the lessons…can’t remember which…he’ll explain it.

21. sherman t potter says:

could your posts, or some of the comments in the posts re: fundamentalism be seen as some attempt to reject, expel, alienate or even destroy those who disagree or differ? I’m detecting a dogmatism about this, or…maybe I’m just too far removed from your context to know what you really mean?

22. nakedpastor says:

hi sherman. thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. i hope my blog is a forum where all voices can be heard. i believe in freedom of thought and speech, and try to practice that on nakedpastor. as you can see, there are all kinds represented here, from fundamentalist christian to atheist. i deeply know that we are all one, and our apparent differences are only apparent and not substantial. in my own congregation the same broad diversity of people is represented. what is important is that no matter what we believe, we can still live and love in unity. of course, this doesn’t necessarily tame down the vehement disagreements that occur, but we maintain the respect of the person we disagree with while challenging the ideas. for me, ideas that finally manifest themselves in the harm, rejection or annihilation of another are seriously challenged and understood to be wrong.